East Village, the new neighbourhood at the former London 2012 Athletes’ Village, last night delivered a Gold medal performance to pick up two prestigious awards at The London Planning Awards – Best New Place to Live and the Mayor’s Award for Planning Excellence.
LONDON: 5 FEBRUARY 2014
The double win acknowledges London’s newest neighbourhood as the ‘Best New Place to Live’ and recognises its significant planning contribution to the capital. East Village took home the top prizes by demonstrating good quality design, outstanding facilities and offering a diverse range of accommodation.
The London Planning Awards, now in its 11th year, is organised in partnership with London First and the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, to recognise and reward best practice in planning in the capital. The awards were presented by the Mayor at a ceremony at City Hall in front of an audience of over 300 senior representatives from London boroughs, City Hall, developers, planners and community groups.
Delivering 2,818 new homes for Londoners, East Village offers both private rental homes with Get Living London, and affordable housing through Triathlon Homes, with private and affordable tenures integrated on an unprecedented scale, raising the bar for modern residential developments. Offering a range of homes to suit everyone, from one bedroom apartments to townhouses, the neighbourhood is set in 75 acres of parklands and open space, with a new school, health centre and community facilities.
The design and construction of East Village was overseen by the Olympic Delivery Authority, with Lend Lease as Development Manager and sixteen architects working on distinct areas of East Village, plus Fletcherpriest Architects who developed the original masterplan.
Derek Gorman, Chief Executive of Get Living London commented: “From Athletes’ Village to new homes for Londoners, East Village is a neighbourhood like no other and we are incredibly proud to be named London’s ‘Best New Place to Live’. With hundreds of people living in East Village and more homes now available, these award wins are a huge boost as we continue to create London’s newest neighbourhood.”
Elliot Lipton, Executive Director for Triathlon Homes said: “The awards acknowledge East Village as ‘Best New Place to Live’ and for ‘Planning Excellence’, both of which are a huge honour. The mixed tenure of housing available at East Village not only supports the demand for homes for Londoners but offers a housing option un-rivalled in London.”
ODA Chief Operating Officer Gerry Murphy said: “We have invested a huge amount of time and effort into making sure that East Village would be a great place to live – building on the success of the Olympic Village to produce new homes of the highest quality, beautiful parklands, accessible for everyone, with unrivalled transport connections, and fantastic facilities to support the new neighbourhood. I am thrilled that East Village has picked up these two awards, which are testament to the hard work of everyone involved over many years.”
About East Village
- East Village is London’s first Olympic legacy village and newest neighbourhood on the doorstep of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- Set in 27 hectares of breathtaking parkland, with more than 10 hectares of mature parklands, new parks and open space
- Positioned next to the world-class sporting venues of The Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, East Village is located within 285 hectares of parkland, waterways, and nature trails connected by paths for jogging cycling and walking
- One of the best connected neighbourhoods in London with Stratford International and Stratford Regional stations offering links to London’s key locations such as the west end in 20 minutes, St Pancras International in 6 minutes (by High Speed 1), Canary Wharf in 12 minutes, Ashford in less than 30 minutes and London airports within an hour
- Plans for an eclectic mix of 30 shops, restaurants, cafes & bars in the city’s newest neighbourhood, ensuring that East Village is a thriving place for residents and visitors
- East Village will offer a world-class education campus Chobham Academy for students aged 3-19, a state-of-the-art medical centre and over 30 independent shops, cafes and restaurants
- Visit www.eastvillagelondon.co.uk to find out more